Free Family Dinner and visit with Santa
Where: Maritime Labour Centre, 1880 Triumph (at Victoria) (map)
What: If funds are really tight or you’re away from extended family this Christmas season, there’s always a helping hand to let you and your little one(s) feel loved as a part of the community. Come for a free meal and visit with Santa on Christmas Eve at the Maritime Labour Centre. If it’s tough to get there, transportation may be arranged in advance by calling BC Fed. at 604-430-1421.
Free Skating at Britannia
Where: Britannia Community Centre, 1661 Napier St., Vancouver, BC (map)
What: Burn off some turkey dinner calories at this free skate for the whole family. This could be the start of a new family tradition…
Family Fun Day at Trout Lake Community Centre
When: Wednesday December 26, 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
Where: Trout Lake Community Centre, 3360 Victoria Drive (map)
What: If your kids are bouncing off the walls with the excitement of Christmas and being cooped up at family events, why not bring them to a boncy castle? This event is perfect for kids with many options for kids under 5 and a great way to spend your holiday playing together, whatever the weather. The last Family Fun Day (on November 11th) had a bouncy castle, parachute, mini cars to drive, giant blocks, sports activities such as floor hockey and hoop shooting in the gym, crafts, and games in the games room. The last event also included dancing and singing earlier in the day with Jacky Essombe (who teaches African dance at Trout Lake), so come near the start to get the most of the events on offer or call the Trout Lake Community Centre to find out the schedule: 604-257-6955.
Free Family Movie at Kerrisdale Library
Where: Kerrisdale Library, 2112 W 42nd Ave. (map)
What: Bring the whole family to watch Home Alone. If you haven’t seen it already, it’s the story of a young boy whose family leaves him behind when they leave on Christmas vacation. He thwarts two burglar’s with homemade booby traps, so expect lots of physical comedy. I recall thinking it was hilarious when I was ten, but the under 5s might just be happy to be at an event away from home. Pillows and blankets optional. The movie will play in the children’s area during library hours.
There are still some seasonal events on this week…
- Gingerbread Lane – On til Dec 28th. Vote in your favourite gingerbread house on display at the Hyatt Regency Hotel, 655 Burrard St.
- Christmas at Canada Place, On til Dec 30th. 10am – 8pm daily, “Christmas Workshop” from 1 – 6pm daily, including free hot chocolate, free face painting, free crafts, a Christmas tree display, “Woodwards Windows” and “SantaGram”, where you can take a photo with a cutout of Santa.
- Festival of Trees On til Jan 1st. Take in a great Christmas tree display and view the prize winners at the Four Seasons Hotel & Pacific Centre Mall.
- St. Paul’s Hospital’s free light display on til Jan 7th. See more on the Lights of Hope page.
- Robson Square has free skating on til Feb 28th (next to the Vancouver Art Gallery, map). You can bring your own skates or rent for $4.