When: Monday, February 11th 11:00am – 7:00pm
Where: Vancouver Art Gallery, Georgia and Howe
What: This is BC’s first Family Day Holiday, and as a result Vancouver has a big line-up of entertainers and activities for the whole family downtown by the Vancouver Art Gallery. The music line-up in particular will appeal to both parents and kids, including Juno award winners Said the Whale. You can also find face painting, a hockey shoot out on stilts with the D’uh Hockey Guys, local artists and educational activities from Science World, Britannia Mining Museum, and the Royal BC Museum. If you have older kids, take advantage of the free ice skate rentals and skating at the Robson Square Ice Rink too. Expect street entertainers and stilt walkers as you celebrate spending time together.
Note: Howe Street will be closed from Georgia St. to Robson St. for the event. Public transit is your best bet, but if you must drive, you can park underground at Pacific Center.
- 11:00 – Eagle Song Dancers
- 11:35 – Science World
- 11:55 – Ta Daa Lady
- 12:30 – Science World
- 12:45 – Kokoma African Heritage Ensemble
- 1:30 – Ali Milner
- 2:05 – Science World
- 2:25 – Showstoppers Dance Troupe
- 3:00 – Science World
- 3:15 – Pacifika
- 4:05 – Maria In The Shower
- 4:55 – Ten Souljers
- 6:00 – Said the Whale
Artists on site:
Free (or Low Cost) Skating on Family Day
When and Where: Monday, February 11, at various community ice rinks, including:
- West End Rink – 10:30am to 11:45am (50% off)
- Sunset Rink – Family Fun Hockey – 11:00am – 12:15pm, Public Skate – 12:30-2:30pm (free)
- Trout Lake Rink – Family Fun Hockey – 11:45am – 1:15pm, Public Skate – 1:30-3:15pm (free)
- Killarney Rink – Family Fun Hockey – 12:15 – 1:45, Public Skate – 2:00-3:30pm (free)
- Hillcrest Rink -1:15pm to 2:30pm (50% off)
- Kerrisdale Arena – 4:15pm to 5:30pm (50% off)
- Free skating (and free rentals!) at the Robson Square Skating Rink too
What: Nothing says good ol’ fashioned Canadian-style bonding than a family hockey game, right? Head over to your local rink for a skate with the family for free or for reduced rates.
Free Family Day Activities – Trout Lake Community Centre
Where: Trout Lake Community Centre, 3360 Victoria Drive Vancouver (map)
What: In addition to celebrating the one-year anniversary of the Trout Lake Community Centre, you can celebrate Family Day with activities, sports, dancing, demonstrations and live music. Refreshments will be available. Check out their poster to see some of the musical acts.
Lunar New Year Themed Family Events
- Sunset Community Centre – Thursday, February 7 from 5:00pm to 7:00pm
- Includes: Lion dancing, fan dancing, arts and crafts. Dinner will be served at $5.00 per plate.
- Hillcrest Centre – Saturday, February 9 from 1:00pm to 4:00pm
- Chinese New Year AND Family Day celebration in one! Includes: activities, crafts, games and entertainment. $3.00/person or $10.00 per family of 4 ( 2 adults, 2 children)
- Marpole-Oakridge Community Centre – Saturday, February 9 from 2:00pm to 5:00pm
- Includes: Making lanterns, puppets and “zodiac” masks, fortune telling, red envelopes and more. $5.00/person.
What: There’s more to this week than just Family Day. The Lunar New Year begins on Sunday, February 10, 2013. Bring your family to celebrate the start of the Year of the Snake at local community centres with a variety of activities, entertainment and food! See each link above for details.
A little further afield…
Although these events are slightly outside of Vancouver, they offer the chance to do something unique for the upcoming Family Day weekend.
Jan Ken Pon! – Japanese Family Games Day (ages 4-12 $5, caregivers free)
Where: National Nikkei Museum & Heritage Centre, 6688 Southoaks Crescent, Burnaby, BC (map)
What: Combine Japanese culture with your Family Day experience this weekend. The Nikkei Centre is hosting over 20 traditional Japanese heritage games and toys, as well as displaying heritage toys. For example, you can play with colourful tops, a Japanese style cup and ball, make your own sumo wrestlers and beanbags, or run around and burn off some energy! They say the highlight of the day will be a rock-paper-scissors tournament with prizes. Kids over 2 years pay $5 to enter ($4 for advance registration before February 2) but accompanying adults are free. Tickets are available online at Nikkei Place, by phone at 604.777.7000 or in person at the Nikkei Centre
Family Day at Place des Arts – Free Art workshops for all ages
Where: Place des Arts, 1120 Brunette Avenue, Coquitlam, (map)
What: Here’s your chance to see some artwork and get involved in making some of your own. Place des Arts aims to “actively engage families in learning about art in a fun, interactive and informal environment.” After a guided tour, there are three drop-in workshops for all ages where you can create an artwork of your own based on what you just saw. The three workshops available this Sunday are:
- Family Collages with Joy Hanser of ARTforce Collective – participants are encouraged to bring photocopies of family photographs for this project;
- Talk and Tour of Tribute to Arts with Nino Dobrosavljevic;
- Nature Printing using parts of plants, i.e. leaves, sticks, petals, etc. to print a unique piece of artwork that reflects the beauty of our local surroundings;
There’s also the Social Fabric Project: Bring a special “thread” to weave into our 40th Anniversary tapestry… a meaningful string, a baby bootie ribbon, a cassette tape ribbon, anything that can be woven!
Admission by donation. Reserve your spot here through Brown Paper Tickets or by calling 604-664-1636. (If you miss Family Day this time, this event will happen again on Sunday, April 28.)
Other special deals for Family Day
(*Note: These are NOT under $5, but just in case you’re tempted to splurge…)
- Local BC Ski Resorts – many are offering promotions for Family Day including 50% off lift tickets
- BC Sports Hall of Fame – %50 off on Family Day, special activties for kids including
- Vancouver Art Gallery – Interactive art activities for kids and a music trio to hear, regular admission prices
- Vancouver Lookout – Junior Pilot Program for kids to find landmarks and “earn their wings”, regular admission prices
- Burnaby Village Museum – Free carousel rides, balloon twisting and heritage games
And because you deserve some love too…
Free Valentine’s Day Crafts for Parents! (Childcare provided)
Where: Thunderbird Community Centre, 2311 Cassiar Street, 059 Craft Room (map)
What: Hey… when was the last time you got to make a craft without your child? This event is for you, not your little one. Children will stay in the family drop-in while you join parents in the craft room to make a Valentine’s Day craft. Fun!