Winterruption for Kids at Granville Island – Free Concerts, Theatre, Crafts and a Parade!
Where: Kids Zone, Granville Island
What: Winterruption is the place to be this weekend for entertainment and cultural flair. This is particularly true if you’ve got kids in tow, since there’s a full roster of kids events that includes some great shows and a whole range of fun activities, all for free. Highlights include:
Music and Shows
- Will Stroet and His Backyard Band – Sat Feb. 23, 11:00am & Sun, Feb 24, 11:00am
- Award winning Will Stroet puts on a “rock concert for kids”. This is a great opportunity to see him and rock out for free!
- Laugh at an Award-winning Clown – Ben La Barouette – Sat Feb 23 & Sun Feb 24, 11:30am, 1:00pm, 2:15pm
- A Cirque du Soleil performer, who also holds the Guinness world record for balancing 24 chairs on his chin, will delight with his “poetic” character famous on TV and film.
- Check out the local music theatre talent – different shows on Sunday at 1:30pm and 3:30pm
- Play at the Free Parent and Tot Gym with Bouncy Castle and Stories – Sunday, Feb 24, 9:30am – 12:00pm
- At False Creek Community Centre – This is an open play program offering a bouncy castle, slides, teeter totter, toy cars and much more! Story time and sing-a-long at 11:00am.
- Get the beat at a Music Workshop – Sun, Feb 24, 12:30, 1:00, 2:30, 3:00
- An interactive introduction to basic musical concepts that includes making music together.
- Create your own Mask Workshop- Sat, Feb 23 and Sun, Feb 24, 10:30am – 4:30pm
- Join artist Beth Lee to learn how to create your own mask. All materials will be supplied.
- Get your face painted – Sat & Sun, Feb 23 & 24, 10:30am – 4:30pm
- Join in the Parade! – Saturday, Feb 23, 1:45pm
- Super Fun T-Shirt Day – Sunday, Feb 24, 2:00 – 4:00 pm
- Kids can paint or print a design on their own T-shirt at Opus Framing and Art Supplies (map). You’ll get to experiment with textile pint, ink and fabric stamps. Bring your own T-shirt! It’s free, but you need to register (drop in to Opus Art Supplies or call 604-736-7028).
Free Puppet Show of Peter and the Wolf at ArtStarts
When: Saturday, Feb 23, 11:00 am – 11:45 and 1:00 – 1:45 pm
Where: 808 Richards St., Vancouver (Richards at Robson), ArtStarts Gallery (map)
What: ArtStarts Free Weekend Workshops are nothing short of a brilliant opportunity to take your kids to award-winning shows without spending a dime. This month you can enjoy Peter and the Wolf as told by the master puppeteers of Figura Theatre. This 45-minute long show is probably suited to kids who a bit older than the usual “under 5” crowd, but the puppets might just be fascinating enough to hold the attention of pre-schoolers. They sure look cool to me.
Free Puppet and Clown Show at Trout Lake (ages 3+)
Where: Trout Lake Community Centre, 3360 Victoria Drive, (map)
What: Trout Lake is an easy stop for East Van families, and this is a great free event for mature “under 5s” or older kids. Maggie Winston of Lost & Found Puppet Co will perform “Just Enough”, a great story about bringing new life to cherished objects by creating something new. At the moment, a different version of this story, entitled Something From Nothing, is Monita’s favourite book. I’ve read it literally thrice daily for the past two weeks. You might have caught this performance of “Just Enough” at the Renfrew Ravine Moon Festival (pictured) but if not, here’s your chance. Please pre-register by calling 604-257-6955.
Family Art Fun, ages 2 – 8 at Roundhouse
Where: Roundhouse Community Centre at 181 Roundhouse Mews (map), near Yaletown Skytrain
What: Make it Mondays! drop-in is back this month. Families and kids aged 2 – 8 are invited to experiment and create art together. This program offers different fun activities to inspire you and give you the opportunity to create something outside of the box of crayons. All they ask is a $2 donation to cover costs. Head to Room A at the Roundhouse and bring an open mind. (Make it Mondays! is also running on March 18 if you miss this one!)
Free Family-friendly Concert at Trout Lake
Where: Trout Lake Community Centre, 3360 Victoria Drive (map)
What: This is part of the “Music on the Bow” concert series, a family-friendly set of free concerts that feature many different types of music. While this one is a bit late in the evening for the Under 5 crowd, it’s worth a mention because it’s tough to get out to see live music as a parent. If you’re missing hearing some cool swing / jazz numbers, you can check out Los Juevos Rancheros at Trout Lake in the main part of the Community Centre.